Friday, October 16, 2015

Yes, We Have No Toothbrushes

Do other part-timers have trouble remembering what they have stored in their RV? We do. Are we the only ones? Our last trip upstate was to get the RV ready for winter storage. When packing to go we were unsure what we needed to take and what we already had. Not the big stuff like pots & pans, dishes and cups, towels and sheets. I'm talking about the little things like deodorant, shampoo, paper towels, toilet paper, and most importantly, toothbrushes. We had planned to buy extra toothbrushes and leave them there. But did we?

Since long periods go by between visits we find it hard to remember. Subsequently, we go through the same routine every time and as usual we took some things we didn’t need and forgot some that we did. So, because we won’t be back in the rig until March, as part of packing up I decided to take inventory of everything we have. And being a hyper organized nut I created an excel spreadsheet of said inventory.


I’m not suggesting anyone else do this. Honestly, I known it’s a little OCD. I also know it will be a big help to us. I now know what we have and what we need. The more we can keep in the rig the easier each trip will be. The less we have to pack and transport the more pleasant the adventure. After all, isn’t that part of the charm of owning a second home on wheels. Unlike taking a trip for a week or two to some hotel or resort - where you have to take everything - my ideal is to just throw some clothes in a bag and go.

You might think we would have done this before, but we are still learning all the ins and outs of this Rving thing. Every time we do it something new comes up. This is just another lesson learned and I’m certain there are many more to come. One day, with a little luck and a lot more experience, we will have it all down pat.

As it turns out we didn’t have those extra toothbrushes. Luckily, to be on the safe side, we brought the ones from home with us. I’ve updated my spreadsheet accordingly.

-Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment