Saturday, October 31, 2015

Truckin'

I have begun the daunting process of learning to drive our pick-up truck. I need to do this for several reasons. I may never tow the RV, but when we’re camping I can not leave all the local running around to Bill. It wouldn’t be fair. Especially because he does all of the long haul driving. Also, what if an emergency occurs? Using the truck when we’re home will definitely come in handy. But, most importantly, conquering my fear will bring me a great sense of accomplishment.


The truck stands 6’ 6” high, is 22’ long and weighs 10,000 lbs. I am 5' 1½”. I have no corresponding length, but I’m a person of great depth. My weight is nobody’s business. All you need to know is that it’s considerably less than the truck’s. I could not be more intimidated by the prospect of driving this beautiful beast.

I didn’t get my license until I was in my late 20’s and didn’t use it regularly until my early 30’s. My late start has left me feeling less than confident in my driving abilities. I make up for that with caution. I am afraid I will not be able to handle such a large vehicle. My biggest fear is that I’ll make a mistake and damage the truck in some way. So, I’m taking things nice and slow. 

For my first lesson Bill took me to a large empty parking lot and ran me through some drills. I did OK. Better than I expected. He gave me an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. Next step - local street driving. I’ve assured my family and friends I will give them plenty of notice so they can plan to stay indoors during this phase.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

-Diane

10 comments:

  1. I have no doubt you'll be kicking truck butt in no time, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are awesome. Hope to meet you on the road someday!!
    The Buzz Across America...Starr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind words! Meeting you would be awesome.

      Delete
  3. You two are awesome. Hope to meet you on the road someday!!
    The Buzz Across America...Starr

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep us up to date on your progress...I'm in a similar boat. Driving's no problem but I don't like the big truck. I'm still in the fear phase although I do take it out for a spin once in a while...still don't feel comfortable. good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will. It's good to know I'm not alone. Seems I've hit a nerve, because I'm getting quite a response. I'll get used to it, I guess, but like you, I don't think it will ever feel comfortable. -Diane

      Delete