Sunday, October 11, 2015

The Long Goodbye

We were back in Saugerties, NY this week. My Dad was with us this time. Mom didn’t want to come. It’s not her thing. It was his first time seeing the RV let alone staying in one. He’s wanted to see it since we got it, and we finally had the chance to make that happen. I was so excited to have him with us, to share this with him. Plus, it’s always beautiful in the Catskills in the Fall. 

The trees were still mostly green in Ulster County, so we took a drive north into Greene County in search of the Fall foliage and to show Dad where my two brother-in-laws have their houses. It was a pretty day and we saw some great color. We stopped in Windham and had lunch at the Catskill Country Store then picked up some fresh produce from RSK Farms in Prattsville.

On the way back, we stopped by Wolff’s Maple Breeze - the Catskill resort we used to stay at when I was a kid. You’ve seen the movie “Dirty Dancing,” right? Well Wolff’s is just like Kellerman’s. Every summer during my pre-teen and teen years we spent a few weeks there. The place hasn’t changed a bit and our visit brought back so many fond memories.

We spent the rest of our time preparing the rig for storage. We had several tasks we wanted to complete before we put her down for her winter nap. We made a few minor repairs and cleaned her from top to bottom, inside and out. Just before we left, we put the RV cover on for the first time. More on that later - it's still too soon to talk about it.

Our next big trip will be in March; one week in New Orleans and then a three weeks on the beach in Pensacola, FL. I’m sure the time will fly, as it tends to do, but right now it seems so far away. I think I’m suffering from a mild case of melancholy. I hate this part. I don’t like being away from the RV for long. I miss her. I worry about her. I guess, until we embark on our next adventure, I will just have to sustain myself revisiting the memories of this last year and dreaming about the new ones we will make in the future.

“And Winter slumbering in the open air,
Wears on his smiling face a dream of Spring!”

-Samuel Taylor Coleridge


-Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment