Saturday, August 22, 2015

I Could Do This Full-Time...

Willie Joe Billy Bob (my RV persona)
Even with the little experience I have RVing, I know I could do this full-time. I'm 61 years old but it makes me feel like a kid again. I enjoy the challenges RVing has posed: overcoming my fear of driving and parking the giant beast; learning the different systems; solving problems; fixing things; using my mind and getting my hands dirty. I love seeing this country and I'd love to see the whole, beautiful thing. Not to mention BBQ’s, a cold beer, and sitting around a campfire.





I don’t think I could just sell the condo and take off. Being the cautious guy that I am, what I’d like to do is rent out the condo for a year and give it a shot. We’d still have the condo to fall back on and have some help with the expenses. That’s what I’d like to do.

The reality of the situation is that Diane and I are both very family oriented and most of our family members are here in the NYC / Long Island area. I have 3 brothers – the longest drive to one of them is 20 minutes. My son and his family - including 3 of my grandchildren - are 2 blocks from me. Until very recently, my 96 year-old mom, was 2 blocks away as well.

Which brings me to the biggest reason we can’t just up and go – we both have elderly parents who need and deserve our help. My mom is currently in a nursing home after breaking her hip at the end of February; but we’re doing everything possible to get her well enough to go home. There are daily, sometimes multiple visits to the nursing home, trips to various doctors, and we try to get her out of there as often as possible – not to mention the insurance nightmares. Fortunately, the aforementioned big family helps – but, it’s a big commitment. Diane’s parents have health issues of their own.

So, like I said, we can’t just up and go whenever we want. There will be no full-timing. For the time being we’ll have to settle for short trips and a once-a-year, month-long adventure. Our parents are worth it. But we can dream…

-Bill


2 comments: