Friday, July 24, 2015

The Right Stuff (Buying the Truck)

Diane’s right. I couldn’t be happier with the truck we picked. I’ll tell you the way I figured it and you can take it for what it’s worth. We needed to buy a truck and a fifth wheel. So, first question: Which do you buy first? If you have the option, definitely buy the fifth wheel first. This way you know exactly what you have to pull around (GVW and pin weight) and can buy a truck that can handle it.

Second question: diesel or gas? I started looking at RAM because I originally wanted a diesel and, after talking to many people (including quite a few mechanics), I concluded that the only diesel worth having is a Cummins, which is only available in RAM pick-ups. But I was also counseled that all diesels, including the Cummins, have their drawbacks…noisy, smelly, mechanical problems. The weight of the diesel engine takes away from the available payload. Diesels have plenty of towing power but no acceleration. Other than towing power, the only other advantage of the diesel is slightly better gas mileage (which, by the way, you’ll give back at the pump anyway because diesel costs more). So I decided to go for a gasoline powered 6.4 Hemi which has more than enough towing power to pull our RV.

Third question: 2500 or 3500? This was a no brainer. The RAM 2500 has plenty of available payload to handle the pin weight of our RV and it has rear coil springs! Most heavy duty and super duty pick-ups have leaf springs in the rear which give you a very, very hard ride. The 2500 rides like a luxury car.

Many people make the mistake of buying more truck than they need. We went for a RAM 2500 with a 6.4 Hemi and a pretty nice trim level. It handles the job of pulling our RV just fine. Just as importantly, ninety nine out of a hundred times I get into this truck I’m not pulling the RV, and I’m extremely pleased with the acceleration, handling, comfort, and smooth ride.  

As far as Diane's "ménage à truck" comment goes, I think it's ridiculous...although they both have nice headlights.

-Bill




No comments:

Post a Comment